Saturday, December 26, 2009

You Know, You're Real Funny When You're Sober

Two of them have girlfriends. One of them I have never met and may actually be mentally ill because he asked me how small my neck was so he could buy me a sweater. One was too old. Another too young and immature. Then there are those whom I haven't spoken to. They just check me out. You might label them in the following way: White-Trash Construction Worker, Homeless Man, Star Wars Nerd, Santa Claus, Father With Child, and Grandfather With Beer Belly. Really, I should be flattered. At my age, I should be latching onto any male with child-bearing capabilities so I don't rob the cradle. Yet I refuse. I can't seem to shake this tendency to be picky. Some may find it rude, but really, considering what I've been offered, I haven't turned down much. It's not that I'm looking for something in particular, in fact, that changes on a daily basis. Mostly, I prefer someone I'm attracted to, someone who isn't stupid or ignorant, and someone who will challenge me. Yet I seem to face this constant barrage of men who are, to put it bluntly, ugly. If you didn't know me, you would understandably think me a very mean individual. I'm not. I'm just bitter. I suppose all the good men are taken or uninterested. That's fine. I am very optimistic that someday I will meet him at some picturesque cafe in Paris, France, smoking a cigarette and reading Hemingway. Until then, I'm sick of the perverts, the idiots, and the insensitive. All the good men are too good.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you. But a cigarette? Why not something more classy? Like a pipe or a hookah? Personally I would have gone for the grandfather with the beer belly (-;

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whitney I have a degree in Nonfiction Writing and have workshopped countless other writers but I've never encountered anyone who writes like you! Your writing makes me think of what would happen if you pieced together like a million fragments of movies from Hollywood's golden era into a completely new storyline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie. I am literally speechless. That is definitely the best thing anyone has ever said to me. :)

    ReplyDelete